Christ School seeks an enthusiastic, committed Chinese/Mandarin teacher to join its World Languages faculty in August 2022. This individual will focus on teaching four courses per semester, with the option to participate in additional activities on Christ School’s busy residential campus.
This Chinese/Mandarin teacher will:
- Develop appropriate lesson plans and curricula for four courses per semester (beginner to intermediate levels).
- Design course work that meets students’ needs and spurs their interest.
- Teach pronunciation, vocabulary, writing, and composition.
- Foster a structured, positive learning environment for all students.
- Investigate innovative teaching methods and materials for use in the classroom.
- Schedule and prepare students for oral and written exams.
- Monitor student progress and provide regular feedback to students and parents.
- Shape opportunities for further learning through diverse cultural experiences.
Additional Athletic/Afternoon and Residential Life responsibilities will vary based on the candidate’s experience and interest, as well as the school’s needs. Activities to consider include:
- Coaching sports teams (JV/Varsity) or leading Outdoor Programs (biking, hiking, climbing, etc.)
- Directing afternoon programs and clubs (Drama, Quiz Bowl, literary magazine, etc.)
- Supervising a dormitory, either as a resident or adjunct faculty member, 1-2 times per week
- Monitoring evening study halls, 1-2 times per week
- Providing transportation and supervision for weekend activities, 1 weekend per month
- Mentoring a small group of students through an advising program
- An undergraduate degree in Mandarin/Chinese or a related field; a master’s degree preferred
- First-hand experience living abroad in China preferred
- Two or more years teaching introductory-intermediate Mandarin classes preferred
- Sincere interest in educating, encouraging, and inspiring adolescent boys
- WThe ability to communicate clearly and proactively with students, parents, and colleagues
- A demonstrated desire to learn and implement new teaching methods and technologies
- A commitment to Christ School’s Four Pillars: Academic Rigor, Leadership, Spirituality, and the Dignity of Manual Labor
- Energy, flexibility, and a sense of humor
Teaching positions are 10-month, academic-year appointments. Approximately 75% of Christ School’s faculty members live on the scenic 500-acre campus.
If you are interested in this opportunity, please email your CV with a cover letter or teaching statement indicating a specific interest in teaching at Christ School to Steve Stay, Registrar and Executive Assistant to the Head of School (firstname.lastname@example.org).
About the School:
Christ School was founded in 1900 and is affiliated with the Episcopal Church. Located nine miles south of Asheville, North Carolina, Christ School is an all-boys boarding and day school for grades 8-12. Students come from 16 states and eight foreign countries. All world faiths are represented and welcomed at Christ School. www.christschool.org
Christ School is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military status, or any other legally protected status.