Founded in 1900 and located in Asheville, NC, Christ School is an all-boys (8th- 12th grade) school affiliated with the Episcopal Church. Our 292 boys come from 15 states and seven foreign countries with a 75% boarding and 25% day student ratio. Our international population is 8.5% with 14% students of color. The school currently operates with a waiting list.
Christ School is an independent boarding and day school serving boys in grades 8 through 12 in Asheville, North Carolina.
Christ School is seeking a candidate suitable for a combined Organist and Choir Master position to begin in August 2019. This is a part-time to full-time position based on the candidate’s experience and additional skill sets or interests. Because the school is poised to expand its music curriculum, the most successful candidate will be able to meet this desire for growth in a way that will increase musical literacy and interest with the student body, faculty and staff, and greater community. This position will report to and work in close collaboration with the Christ School Chaplain. Christ School is an Episcopal School and therefore is part of the Anglican music tradition. However, there is much room for musical creativity, and the worship environment is hospitable to music of different faith traditions.
- Provide music for three weekly Chapel services and occasional additional services (alumni services, Convocation, Baccalaureate, etc.).
- Assist Chaplain in selecting hymns for Chapel appropriate for the lectionary/theme of service. Our current principle resource is The Hymnal 1982.
- Provide prelude/postlude/communion music on piano or organ that is appropriate for the lectionary and theme of the service, ideally with a mix of classical organ compositions to adapted “pop” music.
- Accompany congregational hymn singing, primarily on organ, or other appropriate instruments.
- Serve as liaison to piano and organ tuner and any maintenance/contracted work needed.
- Find substitutes when necessary.
- Build relationships and educated students as possible (explain how the organ works if they ask, occasionally accommodate musical requests, etc.).
- Make Chapel services engaging and fun!
- Has first right of refusal for weddings/funerals in Chapel, and/or assist by finding a substitute.
- May teach private students in the Chapel (when the space is available).
- Conduct and teach a choir class that focuses on an educational experience: teaching singing technique, how to read music, and basic music theory.
- Use choir to support Chapel singing by introducing hymns by way of the choir and using the choir as a model for enthusiastic singing
- Create a comforting/welcoming learning environment.
- Rehearse choir anthems to be performed regularly in Chapel.
- Put together concerts for greater school community.
Other Miscellaneous Duties
- Organize student ensembles.
- Recruit students/faculty/staff musicians to perform in Chapel.
- Invite outside musicians/ensembles to perform in Chapel.
- Be willing to assist Chaplain when needed with other chapel duties.
- Occasionally engage in collaborative work or classes with other faculty members.
About the School
Christ School’s success over the last 118 years is due to its unwavering commitment to a noble mission: to produce educated men of good character, prepared for scholastic achievement and productive citizenship. The school fulfills its mission by offering its students relevant academic programming, athletic participation, work contribution to the Christ School enterprise, and spiritual formation in the Episcopal tradition.
Faculty and staff typically refer to students as “our boys.” Students’ successes, as well as their struggles, are embraced collectively. Teachers and administrators who thrive at Christ School do so because they care. They work hard, rewarded not so much by recognition as by knowing their impact on young lives.
About the Organ
Our Organ is undergoing an exciting and extensive renovation this summer. The existing 1987 2-manual (keyboard) Schantz Pipe Organ console with tilt-tab stops will be replaced with a Cornel Zimmer Organ Builders, 3-manual console with draw-knob stops. In addition, 48-Ranks of Walker Technical Company digital stops will be added including a Choir Division. Tonal finishing of the entire organ ensemble (Pipes and Digital) will be done by Daniel Angerstein. The Chapel, renovated and enlarged in 2006, provides an excellent acoustic for the organ and for congregational singing.
Interested applicants should email their cover letter and resume to Fr. John Roberts, Chaplain of Christ School, at email@example.com.
Christ School is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any applicant or employee on the basis of age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, handicap, veteran's status, or any other legally protected status.