May 18-20, 2018
The Headmaster, Faculty, and Class of 2018 welcome you to Commencement Weekend.
- Reserve Lodging & Make Dinner Reservations Early
- Christ School Class Ring
- Graduation Announcements
- Moving Out of the Dorm
- What to Wear
- Underclassman Attendance
Friday, May 18
8:00pm Celebration of the Class of 2018, Pingree Auditorium
All graduates required to attend. Due to limited seating, parents of graduates are invited, but not required to attend.
Saturday, May 19
11:30am-12:30pm Buffet Lunch, Dining Hall (optional)
5:00pm Awards Ceremony, Mebane Fieldhouse
Graduates, Families, and Guests
6:15-7:30pm Buffet Dinner, Dining Hall or Dinner in Asheville
10:00pm All Boarding Students Must Return To Campus
Sunday, May 20
8:30-10:00am Coffee, Dining Hall (optional)
9:00-10:00am Baccalaureate, St. Joseph’s Chapel
We respectfully request that guests are limited to 6 per graduating family.
10:15-11:00am Commencement, Yard A
In case of rain, exercises will be held in the Mebane Fieldhouse.
11:00-12:00pm Reception, Dining Hall Patio
Graduates, Families, and Guests
The dining hall will be available for meals all weekend. However, many families prefer to make dinner plans following the Awards Ceremony and lunch following Commencement.
Through Herff Jones, a leading supplier of high school and college graduation products, Christ School offers both a traditional and signet class ring. The rings are on display in the bookstore and can be sized and purchased at the bookstore. Herff Jones offers a lifetime warranty, which includes resizing and repairing at no charge. There is no obligation to buy a ring.
If you would like to order graduation announcements from one of our vendors, the options are described below.
Graduation Announcement Flat Card:
Personalized graduation announcements on a flat 5x7 natural colored card stock with dark green Angelus logo and border. Orders for this option have approximately a week turnaround after proof approval.
Contact Jennifer Bird for more information.
With the variety of activities scheduled, you may want to bring a selection of casual, and dressy casual attire. Weather permitting, commencement exercises will be held outside on Yard A lawn (south side of the chapel). Temperatures in May are unpredictable, so check the forecast and pack accordingly.
- Parent & Guest – suggested attire
- Senior Celebration: Casual attire
- Awards: Dressy casual attire
- Commencement: Men typically wear a coat/tie; women wear dresses or nice pants and top
- Graduate attire
- Awards night: Coat & tie
- Baccalaureate and Commencement ceremony: Green CS blazer, white shirt, CS tie, khakis and dress shoes. Mr. Miles will review with the students in the weeks ahead.
- Parking: Follow signs to the parking lots. The chapel road and Wetmore circle will be closed beginning Saturday afternoon until Sunday at noon.
- Handicapped Guests: Golf cart valets will be available to escort handicapped guests on Saturday evening and Sunday morning to the Awards Ceremony and to Yard A and St. Joseph’s Chapel.
There are no tickets for the graduation events. However, there will be sections reserved at all events for the families of graduates.
- Awards Ceremony – The doors will open at 4:30pm. The front sections of the Field House will be reserved for families of graduating seniors.
- Baccalaureate – Seating is limited in Saint Joseph’s Chapel so we respectfully request that families of graduates limit themselves to 6 seats.
- Commencement Seating – Sections will be reserved on Yard A lawn for: 1) graduating seniors, 2) graduating senior families who are attending baccalaureate, 3) the faculty. Open seating is available for all other guests and undergraduates.
A professional photographer will be on hand to get a picture of your son as he receives his diploma. After the ceremony, the photographer will also be available to take group and family pictures. These photos will be available on the photographer’s website in the weeks following graduation. Christ School will email all parents the link to the website.
Our policy mandates that all boarding students remain on campus through Commencement on Sunday, May 20. Commencement is on Sunday from 10:15 AM to 11:00 AM, which is relatively short for graduation ceremonies. The reasons for having your sons here through the Graduation Ceremony are listed below.
- Many underclassmen are recognized and honored in the awards ceremonies at 5:00 p.m. on Saturday evening, May 19.
- We believe it is important for the underclassmen to attend the Commencement of the Class of 2018. It is a foreshadowing of the passage that the younger boys will be making in the near future. It is also an opportunity to say goodbye and bring closure to the tight friendships your sons have developed with the graduating seniors.
- The underclassmen have a role in preparing the campus for the various graduation events.
We invite you and your family to join us for any of the events on Saturday and Sunday, May 19 and May 20. See the complete commencement schedule. Some events are reserved for the families of graduates as indicated on the schedule. I urge you to also make your hotel reservations as soon as possible.
Please contact Jennifer Bird should you need any assistance in preparation for your visit. We look forward to seeing you in May 2018.