Christ School's 117th Commencement
May 19-21, 2017
The Headmaster, Faculty and Class of 2017 welcome you to Commencement Weekend.
Information for Parents
Friday, May 19
8:30pm Celebration of the Class of 2017, Pingree Auditorium
All graduates required to attend. Due to limited seating, parents of graduates are invited, but not required.
Saturday, May 20
11:30am-12:30pm Buffet Lunch, Dining Hall (optional)
5:00pm Awards Ceremony, Mebane Fieldhouse
Graduates, Families, and Guests
6:15-7:30pm Buffet Dinner, Dining Hall or Dinner in Asheville
10:00pm All Boarding Students Must Return To Campus
Sunday, May 21
8:30-10:00am Coffee, Dining Hall (optional)
9:00-10:00am Baccalaureate, St. Joseph’s Chapel
We respectfully request that guests are limited to 6 per graduating family.
10:15-11:00am Commencement, Yard A
In case of rain, exercises will be held in the Mebane Fieldhouse.
11:00-12:00pm Reception, Dining Hall Patio
Graduates, Families, and Guests
The dining hall will be available for meals all weekend. However, many families prefer to make dinner plans following the Awards Ceremony and lunch following Commencement.
Through Herff Jones, a leading supplier of high school and college graduation products, Christ School offers both a traditional and signet class ring. The rings are on display in the bookstore and can be sized and purchased at the bookstore. Herff Jones offers a lifetime warranty, which includes resizing and repairing at no charge. There is no obligation to buy a ring.
If you would like to order graduation announcements from one of our vendors, the two options are described below.
Graduation Announcement Traditional:
Standardized traditional announcement on folded textured card, with the green & gold foil Christ School seal, and tissue insert. Due to the gold foil, this type of announcement must be ordered by January 20, 2017.
Graduation Announcement Flat Card:
Personalized graduation announcements on a flat 5x7 natural colored card stock with dark green Angelus logo and border. Orders for this option are due by March 15, 2017.
Contact Beth Krieger for more information.
Graduates will be expected to move out of the dorm by 4pm on the 21st. Boarding students are given plenty of time and access to supplies during the preceding weeks to pack. Be aware that the circle on upper campus will be blocked off during the graduation exercises.
With the variety of activities scheduled, you may want to bring a selection of casual, and dressy casual attire. Weather permitting, commencement exercises will be held outside on Yard A lawn (south side of the chapel). Temperatures in May are unpredictable, so check the forecast and pack accordingly.
- Parent & Guest: suggested attire
- Senior Celebration: Casual attire
- Awards: Dressy casual attire
- Commencement: Men typically wear a coat/tie; women wear dresses or nice pants and top
- Graduate attire
- Awards night: Coat & tie
- Baccalaureate and Commencement ceremony: Green CS blazer, white shirt, CS tie, khakis and dress shoes. Mr. Miles will review with the students in the weeks ahead.
- Parking — Follow signs to the parking lots. The chapel road and Wetmore circle will be blocked Friday morning from 7am-noon.
- Handicapped Guests: Golf cart valets will be available to escort handicapped guests on Thursday evening and Friday morning to the Awards Ceremony and to Yard A and St. Joseph’s Chapel.
There are no tickets for the graduation events. However, there will be sections reserved at all events for the families of graduates.
- Awards Ceremony – The doors will open at 4:30pm. The front sections of the Field House will be reserved for families of graduating seniors.
- Baccalaureate – Seating is limited in Saint Joseph’s Chapel so we respectfully request that families of graduates limit themselves to 6 seats.
- Commencement Seating — Sections will be reserved on Yard A lawn for: 1) graduating seniors, 2) graduating senior families who are attending baccalaureate, 3) the faculty. Open seating is available for all other guests and undergraduates.
A professional photographer will be on hand to get a picture of your son as he receives his diploma. After the ceremony, the photographer will also be available to take group and family pictures. These photos will be available on the photographer’s website in the weeks following graduation. Christ School will email all parents the link to the website.