Several times a year students and faculty have the opportunity to travel throughout the United States and abroad for service learning projects or cultural experiences that challenge their perception of the world outside of Christ School.
For more information about travel opportunities contact Isaac Rankin, Director of Residential Life: 828-684-6232 ext. 182.
When: February 3-7, 2017 (Winter Break)
Where: Charleston, SC
What: Servant Leadership and Cultural Experience in Charleston, SC
- 2 days working with Habitat for Humanity in Charleston area.
- 15 hours of community service
- Gullah Cuisine and Seafood
- Civil War History
- Charleston Architecture
Transportation: Driving to and from Charleston
Number of Students: 10-15
Trip Leaders: Travis Harris
Age and Skills Requirement: Must be 16 or older
Approximate cost: $700
When: March 4-11, 2017 (Spring Break)
Where: Quito, Ecuador and the Galapagos Islands
What: During this 7-day trip you’ll have the chance to explore the incredible wildlife of the Galapagos. You’ll also visit Ecuador’s capital city, Quito, a 500-year-old metropolis surrounded by the Andes Mountains.
- Straddle the equator near the Middle of the World Monument—it was built about 240 meters from the globe’s horizontal dividing line.
- See Pululahua Volcano, one of the earth’s only known inhabited calderas; it blooms with orchids and tropical plants, watered by a dark fog that shrouds the peak daily.
- Hike across lava fields while looking for frigatebirds, which can often be spotted nosediving into the deep blue water.
- Do some snorkling off the coast of Tortuga Bay Beach, then stroll through an iguana sanctuary.
- Swim between the cliffs at Las Grietas. Stick around to watch the sunset.
Transportation: Driving to Atlanta; flying from Atlanta to Quito; flying from Quito to the Galapagos; flying from Quito to Atlanta.
Number of Students: 10-12
Trip Leaders: Travis Harris and Olga Mahoney
Age and Skill Requirement: Spanish encouraged but not required.
Approximate cost: $2850
When: March 4-9, 2017 (Spring Break)
Where: New York City
What: This adventure to NYC for Spring Break is designed to explore some of the city’s great visual and performing arts, in addition to its multicultural cuisine.
- Tours and Sightseeing
- Acting Workshop
When: March 3-13, 2017 (Spring Break)
Where: Chicago, IL; Denver, CO; San Francisco, CA; Los Angeles, CA
What: Cultural enrichment.
Train travel, while considered by many to be obsolete and time-consuming, is arguably one of the best ways to explore our vast American landscape. Outside of the train, participants will also experience the amazing cities of Chicago, Denver, San Francisco, and Los Angeles. Join us on a transcontinental journey that few have done before!
Transportation: Departing flight from Asheville to Chicago (non-stop); train from Chicago to Denver (overnight), Denver to San Francisco (overnight), and San Francisco to Los Angeles (day); returning flight from Los Angeles to Charlotte; Christ School bus available for participants who require transportation back to the Asheville area.
Number of Students: 8-12
Trip Leaders: Joe Dalton and Ross Weathersbee
Age and Skill Requirement: Must be 15 or older.
Approximate cost: $3000